Friday, October 24, 2008

foto8 - The Long Now: Edward Burtynsky and the 10,000 Year Clock

http://www.foto8.com/home/content/view/669/200/

http://www.foto8.com/home/images/report/main/longnow_burtynsky_carrara.jpg

When I first heard Edward Burtynsky's talk on Flycast on my way to work I
thought "What an amazing concept, I love this idea. What an incredible
project. How can I be a part of this?"

When I arrived at the office I immediately made myself a Yerba Maté and
Googled Ed Burtynsky and The Long Now and found this critique at the top of
the page.

After reading this critique and seeing some of the photos, I still think
this is a great concept and I agree that the execution is not quite there. I
have to admit, when I was listening to Edward speaking I did imagine photos
with people expressing their humanity and experience while in the moment and
in various situations.

One of the great things about photos is they force us to slow down and look
at things as a snapshot, a split second. Normally we're moving too fast to
see this and humans are guided largely by their vision.

Kudos to Edward for finding the Carbon Transfer process. The techie in me
wants to learn all about this process.

No comments: